About Me

My photo
My name is Jenn and I am 20 years old. I am a Junior at Salem State College. I transferred to Salem from UMass Boston in the spring. I have been a Preschool teacher for 3 years in Lexington, MA. I have wanted to become a 1st grade teacher ever since I was in Elementry School. I love being able to observe and help the children grow academically, physically, and emotionally. My boyfriend John and I have been together for almost 2 years. I love to play sports and I go running 2 miles every day to stay physically active.

Countryfest

Countryfest
Best Friends

Celtics Game

Celtics Game

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Why People choose teaching as a Profession?


In my opinion, there are many different reasons in which people choose teaching as a profession. I have choose to research this topic because I was extremely curious to whether or not people teach because it is their passion, or if they just feel that its an easy paycheck. From past experiences, I have seen and witnessed many different teachers who I feel just want the money. In some cases, if people want to become a preschool teacher, they can take a few courses and do observation hours and then they can easily become a preschool teacher. From first grade up until my senior year of high school, i can remember many teachers that would fall under this questionable category. From not caring about their students and giving them busy work everyday, to actually working one on one with them and encouraging them to their best, is something to think about. After doing some research on this topic, I found the top ten reasons to become a teacher.
Top Ten Reasons

Student Potential
Student Success
Teaching a subject helps you learn a subject
Daily humor
Affecting the future
Staying Younger
Autonomy in the classroom
Conductive to family life
Job Security
Summers

After reading and researching many different sites, I noticed that these reasons for teaching were for the majority of the sites. From my perspective, many of these reasons are legitimate, but what about staying younger? This is one that I really don't understand. Teaching helps people feel younger? That does not really made sense to me. I would never want to become a teacher just because it makes me look younger or act younger etc. Becoming a teacher in my opinion is something that a person should really want. It not just something to acquire in if you have nothing else to do.


After doing more research, I came upon a website that really spoke from the heart. This website really told readers why teaching is important and why the majority of people teach for a career. This website talks about how people teach to help children learn and grow, improve communities, making learning fun, and most importantly, teach because you love or have a passion for it. After reading this website, I felt like I was typing my own paper on why I am choosing the path of becoming a teacher!


No comments:

Post a Comment