About Me

My photo
My name is Jenn and I am 20 years old. I am a Junior at Salem State College. I transferred to Salem from UMass Boston in the spring. I have been a Preschool teacher for 3 years in Lexington, MA. I have wanted to become a 1st grade teacher ever since I was in Elementry School. I love being able to observe and help the children grow academically, physically, and emotionally. My boyfriend John and I have been together for almost 2 years. I love to play sports and I go running 2 miles every day to stay physically active.

Countryfest

Countryfest
Best Friends

Celtics Game

Celtics Game

Monday, February 22, 2010

Are dress codes appropriate and necessary?






In my opinion, I'm not exactly sure to whether or not I feel that dress codes are necessary. In different school settings, the community feels that it is necessary to wear uniforms. I am from Arlington, MA. In Arlington, we have two high schools. We have Arlington High School, which is a casual dress setting, and then we have Arlington Catholic High School, in which they must wear uniforms in order to attend this school. Granted Arlington Catholic is a Catholic School, but I don't feel that it is necessary to wear uniforms. I understand that there are many different reasons for which schools have dress codes, but I think that student's should be able to make their own decisions. On this specific website, they state many different reasons in which students should have a dress code. One of the main reasons is because of wealth. Some students come to school dressed in Burberry and Lacoste, while others wear clothes that are on the less fortunate side of the mall. In my opinion, people shouldn't judge people because of what they wear, but unfortunately, this is what goes on in schools. In this case, I can understand why schools have a dress code. It really depends on the community and the different issues that are going in schools. If there are extreme cases in which the school is not a healthy setting because of poeple making fun or discrimating against what people are wearing, I feel that a dress code is most deffinately necessary.



No comments:

Post a Comment