About Me

My photo
My name is Jenn and I am 20 years old. I am a Junior at Salem State College. I transferred to Salem from UMass Boston in the spring. I have been a Preschool teacher for 3 years in Lexington, MA. I have wanted to become a 1st grade teacher ever since I was in Elementry School. I love being able to observe and help the children grow academically, physically, and emotionally. My boyfriend John and I have been together for almost 2 years. I love to play sports and I go running 2 miles every day to stay physically active.

Countryfest

Countryfest
Best Friends

Celtics Game

Celtics Game

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Howard Gardner

Howard Gardner was a brilliant man who discovered the theory of multiple intelligences. Howard Gardner really excelled researching the way in which people think and learn. After years and years of research, he discovered the theory of multiple intelligences. He viewed intelligence as "the capacity to solve problems or to fashion products that are valued in one or more cultural setting." He eventually came up with a list of seven different types of multiple intelligences. The following were the seven different types:

1. Linguistic Intelligence
2. Logical Mathematical Intelligence
3. Musical Intelligence
4. Bodily Kinesthetic Intelligence
5. Spatial Intelligence
6. Interpersonal Intelligence
7. Intrapersonal Intelligence

All of the following intelligences, in Gardner's mind, applied to each and every person in some way, shape, or form. I decided to research and post on Howard Gardner because I found his theory of multiple intelligences very interesting. After looking over each and every type of intelligence, i somewhat, to an extent, agree with Gardner. Obviously everyone learns differently, but by putting a name to each type of intelligence helps to explain that type of learning style. Its difficult for teachers and other staff members to evaluate students just by observing them and discussing different issues that might impact that child's learning style, but by putting a name to their learning style and saying that they learn better in so and so way, students get more of a chance to prove they know and understand something, but they may have to look at it in a different form as opposed to their classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment